On 27 February 2018 at 10:23, Alex Gaynor via dev-security-policy
<dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:
> A reasonable compromise that jumps out to me is allowing extensions to make
> an otherwise-secure connection fail, but not allow them to rehabilitate an
> insecure connection. This would allow experimenting with stricter controls
> while avoiding some of the really scary risks.

I'm obviously the person who filed that bug and began this discussion,
but I think this compromise is one of those compromises where no one
gets what they want.

Firefox gets a complicated API that gets shimmed into
security-sensitive code and can disrupt TLS handshakes.

Web Extension developers get something that doesn't do the most
valuable thing they would like to do: experiment with new Server
Authentication modes.

Of the examples I gave (Cert Patrol, Perspectives, Convergence, DANE,
DNSSEC-Stapling) - every single one of them would not actually allow
experimenting with Server Authentication modes if all they could do is
reject certificates and not accept them. And in many cases, it will
completely prevent any such experimentation, because you can't ask a
CA to sign a cert saying "No really, I just want you to include this
weird data under this weird not-documented/not-standardized x509
extension".

Unless people show up claiming that that functionality is sufficient
for them to do things they want to do; I don't think it would be
valuable to implement this compromise.

-tom