Le dimanche 4 mars 2018 22:06:23 UTC+1, Eric Mill a écrit :
> Last week, Trustico (a reseller, formerly for Symantec and now for Comodo)
> sent 23,000 private keys to DigiCert, to force their revocation. This
> showed that Trustico had been storing customer keys generated through one
> or more CSR/key generation forms on their website.
>
> Though Trustico disagrees, this appears to be a clear case of routine key
> compromise for subscribers who obtained their key from Trustico. The
> security of Trustico's systems, which are not audited or accountable to
> root program requirements, were storing large amounts of key material whose
> compromise could have led to the subsequent compromise of connections to
> tens of thousands of online services.
>
> It was also noted that Trustico was exposing key material to interception
> by a number of third parties through client-side JavaScript embeds, and
> that Trustico's website had functionality that allowed remote code
> execution as root on one of their web servers.
>
> These m.d.s.p threads document/link to those things:
>
> *
> https://groups.google.com/d/topic/mozilla.dev.security.policy/wxX4Yv0E3Mk/discussion
> *
> https://groups.google.com/d/topic/mozilla.dev.security.policy/BLvabFwcJqo/discussion
>
> As part of the second thread, Comodo noted:
>
> We also asked Trustico to cease offering any tools to generate and/or
> retain customer private keys.  They have complied with this request and
> have confirmed that they do not intend to offer any such tools again in the
> future.
>

> That is good to hear, but a "we won't do it again" response, if accepted by
> Comodo as sufficient, seems disproportionate to the severity of the issue,
> given Trustico's unfamiliarity with norms around private key management,
> and with basic security practices.
>
> It's also clear from the experience that rules of the road for resellers
> are unclear, and that accountability is limited. It seems possible, or
> likely, that other resellers may also be mishandling customer keys
>
> So, what would useful next steps be to improve security and accountability
> for resellers?
>
> One thought: Mozilla could ask CAs to obtain a written response from all
> contracted resellers about if/how they interact with customer key material,
> including the level of isolation/security given their key generation
> environment (if they have one), and whether any third-party JavaScript is
> given access to generated key material.
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> Also -- Comodo noted:
>
> Trustico have also confirmed to us that they were not, and are not, in
> possession of the private keys that correspond to any of the certificates
> that they have requested for their customers through Comodo CA.
>

> Since there appears to have been a significant overlap period, between the
> time Trustico switched to Comodo and when Trustico was asked by Comodo to
> [...]

It is essential to have the reseller contract draft presented as well as to
check the procedures followed by the reseller in order to provide a reliable
and standards compliant service.
And also, I would like to know how COMODO had the confirmation that Trustico
will no longer produce this kind of act in the future.