Kurt Roeckx <k...@roeckx.be> writes:

>I have yet to see a certificate that doesn't just put latin1 in it, which
>should get rejected.

There were some Deutsche Telekom certificates from the late 1990s that used
T61String floating diacritics for which I had some custom code to identify the
two-character sequences and convert them to latin-1, which things could
actually understand (this was slightly risky because some of those are also
plausible latin-1 combinations, so the code checked specifically for likely
umlauted a, o and u).  That was one of the certs I referred to earlier where
we were unable to identify anything that could display them, except possibly
custom apps also from Deutsche Telekom.  In any case the next release of the
certs moved to latin-1, presumably in response to complaints that their certs
contained garbage strings that nothing could display.

So the most sensible approach would be to assume T61String = latin1, at least
that way what a CA puts in a cert will display OK.

Just out of interest, which country did the T61String-containing cert come
from?  With which interpretation of T61String did the resulting strings
display correctly?  Were they in fact latin-1?

Peter.