On Wednesday, August 22, 2018 at 2:10:06 AM UTC-7, josselin....@gmail.com wrote:
> Thank you very much Devon for this analysis and the time past on our request.
>
> You will find below additional information. Sorry for the delay, I was on
> vacation. The publication of the updated CP / CPS will be immediate, as soon
> as you confirm that the level of detail is sufficient for you.
>
> Thank you in advance for your help and your reply.

> CPS Section 1.4.2 states "Unless stated otherwise, in this document, “RA”
> covers the Registration Authority and Delegate Registration Authorities."
> CPS Section 3.2 calls out DRAs ability to perform initial identity validation
> steps and uses the phrasing “RA (RA or DRA)” at the beginning of the section.
> CPS Section 4.2.1 states that during the identification and request
> validation process, that a DRA forwards the steps undertaken (including
> validation of domain control), and the RA "ensures that the request
> corresponds to the mandate of the DRA operator"
> Due to the language in 1.4.2 stating that unless stated otherwise, “RA”
> refers to both Registration Authorities and Delegated Registration
> Authorities, can you direct me to where in the CP/CPS it calls out that DRAs,
> Certificate Managers, and Certificate Agents (as defined in Section 1.4.5)
> are specifically unable to perform the validation checks of 3.2.2.4 and
> 3.2.2.5? Additionally, what does it mean for an RA to “ensure that the
> request corresponds to the mandate of the DRA operator”?
>
> -> In the CPS, the term RA is mainly used for the registration authority,
> which rely on the DRA for some of its operations, such as collecting or
> issuing information to the certificate manager. However, we have made the
> choice for the moment that the majority of the verifications are currently
> carried out by our internal RA, and not the DRAs however some controls such
> as face to face can be ensure to the DRA.
>
> Paragraph 4.2.1 was added in particular to address this case where the
> face-to-face was in particular carried out by a DRA, however the other
> controls, in particular that concerning the control of the domain is well
> realized by the Certigna internal RA through technical means put in place by
> our services and not those of our DRAs. We can, if you wish, specify in our
> CP / CPS that these checks are carried out by the RA and not the DRA.

This would be a very good change, and it would address my concern.

> For clarification, the control of the DRA operator mandate is to verify that
> the person who sends a proof (eg attestation of face to face) is among the
> authorized persons of the DRA and that the signature (handwritten or
> electronic) of the document comes from this person.

> CPS Section 4.2.1: If the request is valid and allows to obtain with accuracy
> the authorization to issue the certificate by a legal representative of the
> entity which is owner of the domain names, the CA authorizes itself to issue
> the certificate even if the CA is not present in the list of authorized CA.
> This appears to directly contravene BR Section 3.2.2.8, which specifies the
> following 3 scenarios in which a CA can issue a certificate despite not
> appearing in the CAA record:
> • CAA checking is optional for certificates for which a Certificate
> Transparency pre-certificate was created and logged in at least two public
> logs, and for which CAA was checked. Forum Guideline Baseline Requirements,
> v. 1.6.0 21
>
> • CAA checking is optional for certificates issued by a Technically
> Constrained Subordinate CA Certificate as set out in Baseline Requirements
> section 7.1.5, where the lack of CAA checking is an explicit contractual
> provision in the contract with the Applicant.
>
> • CAA checking is optional if the CA or an Affiliate of the CA is the DNS
> Operator (as defined in RFC 7719) of the domain's DNS.
>
> -> Indeed, we were operating up to now a control with an alert and a
> notification to the applicant (pointing on this page
> https://www.certigna.fr/dns-caa.xhtml) to add us in the field CAA if that It
> is present, but it was not blocking for the request because we considered
> that having a signed authorization of the legal representative was sufficient
> even if the applicant not having updated the CAA registration.
>
> Now, our control processes foresee that the certificate request is blocked
> notably in the following cases:
> - The CAA DNS field is present, it contains an "issue" or "issuewild" tag and
> it does not list Certigna as an authorized CA.
> - The CAA DNS field is present, designed as critical and the tag used is not
> supported by the CA (so if it is not an "issue" or "issuewild").
>
> We will be releasing the CP / CPS update to clarify these practices being
> implemented now. If this is enough for you, we will immediately publish the
> documents.

I support these updates. Modulo addressing Wayne's concerns about past CAA
practices, I'm comfortable with this language.

> CPS Section 3.2.7 calls out special actions taken for “High Risk
> Certification Requests”. It says the procedures for determining high risk as
> well as additional vetting requirements are documented, however, I do not see
> this documentation anywhere.
> On what basis is a certification request deemed “high risk” and in what way,
> specifically, does this impact a subscriber’s ability to obtain a certificate?
>
> -> For each certificate request, we automatically perform a check via the
> Google Safe Browsing API and we also think about using the base of the
> organization "phishing initiative". If a URL goes back at risk by these
> databases, the certificate request is automatically rejected and the
> applicant is notified by email.
>
> We can specify these practices in more detail in our CPS if you wish, but we
> did not want to explain to much our procedures and the databases used because
> we felt that disclosing too much in detail our security practices to the
> public can help malicious people to adapt their request to try to circumvent
> our control devices.

I don't think that will be necessary at this point; I just felt it would be
beneficial to the public review of the application to define what actions are
taken based on this risk assessment.

> Root CA CP Section 4.3.2: The delivery of certificate is achieved during the
> key ceremony, to a CA administrator authorized by CA and in charge of its
> exploitation and diffusion.
>
> Can you please explain what these sentences mean? This sub-section is cited
> as the response to BR Section 4.3.1 CA Actions during Certificate Issuance in
> the latest version of the BR self-assessment, but does not appear to speak to
> this requirement.
>
> -> Indeed, it is a problem of interpretation from us, we thought that it
> covered the delivery of the certificate of the root authority and not the
> issue of the end-entities certificates. The answer is available in the
> following chapter:
> "4.3.1. Actions of the CA concerning the delivery of the certificate
> After validation by the RA, the CA initiates the certificate generation
> process for the Certificate Manager.
> 4.3.2. Notification by the CA of the certificate to the certificate manager
> Complete and accurate certificate is made available to the Certificate
> Manager (on the customer area). The Certificate Manager authenticates to the
> customer area to accept the certificate or complete a paper form. "
> The document "BR assessment" has been updated to take into account all the
> evolutions mentioned above as well as this one. Do you want additional
> information on this point ?

My read here is that BR Section 4.3.1 stipulates a requirement on the issuance
of certificates by the Root CA, while I feel the answer provided speaks to the
issuance controls over leaf certificates from a subordinate CA, as I believe
that under your terminology, a Certificate Manager is not involved in the
issuance of CAs from a Root.

I definitely appreciate the information about the issuance process for the
leafs, but I believe the reason this section is included in the Self-assessment
is to speak to controls around certificate issuance from the Root CA.