Speaking for myself ...

My personal impression is that by the time they are brought up here, far too
many issues have easily predicted and pre-determined outcomes.

I know most of the security and key management people for the payment
industry very well [1], and they're good people.  The discussions are
generally one or two orders of magnitude more sophisticated (and far more
polite) than what happens in the web ecosystem.  Yes, there's a lot of
silliness in payments, but that's what happens when you try to run and
manage a low cost/high volume payment system with complex interconnected
audit requirements from multiple SDOs, implemented by hundreds of companies
with their own unique perspectives at global scale.

They did not deserve the treatment they received.  Perhaps things would have
gone better if Symantec wasn't involved, but I was shocked at how the
situation was handled.

I attempted to speak up a few times in various fora but it was pretty clear
that anything that wasn't security posturing wasn't going to be listened to,
and finding a practical solution was not on the agenda.  It was pretty clear
sitting in the room that certain persons had already made up their minds
before they even understood what a payment terminal was, how they are
managed, and what the costs and risks were for each potential alternative.

-Tim

[1] whenever you swipe a payment card, the card number is likely encrypted
with keys from an algorithm that I was first to implement:

https://x9.org/x9news/asc-x9-releases-standard-ensuring-security-symmetric-k
ey-management-retail-financial-transactions-aes-dukpt-algorithm/

https://x9.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/X9.24-3-2017-Python-Source-2018012
9-1.pdf

On