On Thu, Nov 8, 2018 at 8:51 PM Jakob Bohm via dev-security-policy <

> Over the years, there has been some variation among participants in how
> harshly individual mistakes by CAs should be judged, ranging from "just
> file a satisfactory incident report, and all will be fine" to "Any tiny
> mistake could legally be construed as violating a formal requirement
> that would be much more catastrophic under other circumstances,
> therefore the maximum penalty of immediate distrust must be imposed".

This doesn't seem like an accurate description of the debates within the
Mozilla CA program, or this list, at all. I've never heard anyone make an
assertion that sounds like either extreme.

The long-term participants here, including those who press CAs hard, have
all responded very positively to a timely, detailed incident reports that
properly demonstrate an understanding and addressing of root cause.

There have definitely been quite a few CAs who have had incident reports
dragged out of them, or filed incident reports that addressed surface level
issues without any seeming acknowledgment of the gravity of the issue.

Where incidents with little _immediate_ security impact have occurred (such
as certain kinds of spec non-conformity), they have typically become major
issues not on the depth of perceived impact, but when there is a failure to
acknowledge that poor responses to small issues are highly predictive of
future large issues, or a long-term pattern that demonstrates this
empirically.

The major distrust events of the last few years have all been preceded by
robust discussion and demonstration of long-term issues, and months or
years of poor communication with the community.

In other words, no one has been tossed on a technicality, and I've never
seen any regular member of the community advocate for tossing someone
solely on a technicality.

> Furthermore, people with some clout tend to shut down all
> counterarguments when taking either extreme position, creating situation
> there only their own position is heard, making the entire "community"
> aspect an illusion.

This isn't my experience at all. Contributions from community members are
certainly distributed unevenly, but that seems to correspond most closely
to folks for whom participation here is part of their day job. That would
particularly be true for those who have spent years engaging in oversight
of a shifting array of CAs. And since the Mozilla CA Program itself is a CA
oversight program, those members have a very credible claim to represent
the community, even if others don't always have the time or mandate to
devote time to articulating the same arguments.

In general, I don't believe this post is well-grounded in fact, and
presents an inaccurate view of the Mozilla CA program's history. As a
result, I don't think it's likely to produce a constructive discussion.

-- Eric

--
konklone.com | @konklone <https://twitter.com/konklone>