On Tue, Dec 11, 2018 at 10:27 AM Hector Martin 'marcan' via
dev-security-policy <dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:

> On 12/12/2018 01.47, Ryan Sleevi via dev-security-policy wrote:
> > Is this new from the past discussion?
>
> I think what's new is someone actually tried this, and found 5 CAs that
> are vulnerable and for which this attack works in practice.
>

> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.dev.security.policy/KvQc102ZTPw/iLQLKfbbAwAJ
>
> Looking back, this attack is also documented in the paper linked in that
> thread, but unfortunately it's not open access. I get the feeling this
> may be why that discussion didn't really proceed further in that thread.
> I certainly missed it.
>
> The paper does list the vulnerable CAs, which are:
>
> > • COMODO, InstantSSL, NetworkSolutions, SSL.com: these CAs
> > use the same MX email server mcmail1.mcr.colo.comodo.net
> > which uses the same caching DNS resolver. The results from our
> > cache overwriting methods indicates that the DNS resolver software
> > is New BIND 9.x with DNSSEC-validation.
> > • Thawte, GeoTrust, RapidSSL: use the same MX server and
> > resolution platform.
> > • StartCom4
> > , StartSSL: both use the same email server and the
> > same DNS resolver.
> > • SwissSign: uses New BIND 9.x
>
> > I think we're at the stage where it's less about a call to abstract
> action,
> > and actually requires specific steps being taken, by CAs, to explore and
> > document solutions. Saying "push for DNSSEC" doesn't actually lead to
> > objective threat analysis' and their mitigations.
>
> My last paragraph was intended as two separate statements; DNSSEC solves
> this problem but we can't magically flip a switch and make everyone do
> that (heck, my own TLD's registrar still doesn't support it, and yes,
> I've been pestering them about it). Given that, I think CAs should be
> required to implement practical mitigations against this particular
> attack, and I'm hoping that by pointing this out we can start a
> discussion about what those mitigations should look like :-)
>
> As you've noted, Let's Encrypt seems to be leading on this front. It
> would be interesting to see if any other CAs can document their approach
> to mitigating this issue, if any.
>
> I think it;s worth calling out that Let's Encrypt has implemented what
appears to be a relatively simple mitigation:
https://community.letsencrypt.org/t/edns-buffer-size-changing-to-512-bytes/77945

I am also interested to know if other CAs are considering this or other
mitigations (e.g. multi-perspective validation) for this attack.