On Sat, Dec 29, 2018 at 02:40:10PM -0800, Lewis Resmond via dev-security-policy
wrote:
> I am not 100% sure, but I have read that underscores can exist in domain
> names:
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2180465/can-domain-name-subdomains-have-an-underscore-in-it

Correct, but irrelevant for the purposes of this discussion.

> In another thread of this newsgroup, I saw a list of certificates to be
> revoked because of the underscore issue.  And they had underscore domain
> names in it, either in CN or DNS-Names.

Correct.

> So, I wonder, what's the whole forbit-underscore-certificates about?  If
> there are domains out there with underscores, why do you want exclude them
> from being able to use TLS?

Because a TLS client doesn't identify the endpoint with which to establish a
connection by resolving a domain name, it does so by resolving a host name,
which is a different beast, and which has different rules around what
characters are valid -- rules which happen to exclude underscores from the
list of permitted characters.

- Matt