On Thu, Dec 27, 2018 at 8:43 PM Jakob Bohm via dev-security-policy <

> So absent a bad CA, I wonder where there is a rule that subscribers
> should be ready to quickly replace certificates due to actions far
> outside their own control.

 Consider the following cases:

- A company grows and moves to larger office space down the street.  It
turns out that the new office is in a different city even though the move
was only two blocks away.  The accounting department sends the CA a move
notice so the CA sends invoices to the new address.  Does this mean the CA
has to revoke all existing certificates in 5 days?
- Widget LLC is a startup with widgetco.example.  They want to take
investment so they change to a C-corp and become Widget, Inc.  Widget Inc
now is the registrant for widgetco.example. Does this now trigger the 5 day
rule?
- Same example as above, but the company doesn't remember to update the
domain registration.  It therefore is invalid, as it points to a
non-existence entity.  Does this trigger the 5 day rule?

- The IETF publishes a new RFC that "Updates: 5280
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5280>".  It removes a previously valid
feature in certificates.  Do all certificates using this feature need to be
revoked within 5 days?

- The  IETF publishes a new RFC that "Updates: 5280
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5280>".  It says it update 5280 as follows:

Old: Conforming CAs SHOULD use the UTF8String encoding for explicitText,
but MAY use IA5String. Conforming CAs MUST NOT encode explicitText as
VisibleString or BMPString.

NeW: Conforming CAs SHOULD use the UTF8String encoding for explicitText.
VisibleString or BMPString are acceptable but less preferred alternatives.
Conforming CAs MUST NOT encode explicitText as IA5String.

Must a CA revoke all certificates that use IA5String?

- A customer has a registered domain name that has characters that current
internationalized domain name RFCs do not allow (for example xn--df-oiy.ws/✪
df.ws).  A CA issues because this is a registered domain name according to
the responsible TLD registry.  Must this be revoked within 5 days if the CA
notices?

- A customer has a certificate with a single domain name in the SAN which
is an internationalized domain name.  The commonName attribute in the
subject contains the IDN.  However the CN attribute uses U-labels while the
SAN uses A-labels.  Whether this is allowed has been the subject of debate
at the CA/Browser Forum as neither BRs nor RFCs make this clear.  Do any
certificates using U-labels in the CN need to be revoked?

The list can continue to go on, but I bring these up as examples of
reasonable cases that may have surprising results.

Thanks,
Peter

The list goes on, but