Thanks Rob!

Actually, as I look at one of these cases:
https://crt.sh/?spkisha256=8628d8106b72c39d98e8e731fc3b9364940efea0dfbb4816b1382542a979c834

The latest certificate using the above key expires in just a few days.
But you can see the track record of the same private key being used
repeatedly to obtain new certificates.

My question is this: When a certificate is revoked, is that certificate
revoked in isolation, or is the private key used to obtain that
certificate placed in some sort of blacklist where it cannot be used to
obtain any future certificates?  The scenario I'm picturing is that a
customer gets a certificate revoked, but then just uses the same private
key to obtain a new certificate.  Potentially from another CA, if they
have trouble with the one that did the revoking.

I suppose that explaining to the revocation-receiving customer why the
revocation happened is a good start.  However, I could imagine that at
least some of the involved customers may not fully grasp the concept of
protecting private key material.  After all, each one of the cases in
these two batches is a case of the customer publishing the private key
in an app in the Google Play store.

I guess the general gist of what's going on here is that for each case
we've reported in the two batches, the private key material is
compromised.  And as such, no certificate should ever be issued for such
a key, by any CA (in my opinion).  Does such a mechanism exist to
prevent customers from shooting themselves in the foot in this way?
(compromised key re-use)

Related: The first batch that we notified included a number of
already-expired certificates.  Based on responses I got for those, I got
the impression that there was no action to be taken by the CAs for those
expired certificates.  As a result, I ensured that the second batch
omitted cases that lack evidence of a currently-valid certificate.  If
there is any key-level blacklisting going on with the CAs, this was
perhaps an incorrect action to take on my part.

Thoughts?  Is there any value to sharing compromised keys used to obtain
certificates that may already be expired?

--

Thank you,
   Will Dormann

Vulnerability Analyst