-----Original Message-----
From: dev-security-policy <dev-security-policy-boun...@lists.mozilla.org> On
Behalf Of Ryan Sleevi via dev-security-policy
Sent: Wednesday, April 17, 2019 12:52 PM
To: Sándor dr. Szőke <szoke.san...@microsec.hu>
Cc: mozilla-dev-security-policy <mozilla-dev-security-pol...@lists.mozilla.org>
Subject: Re: Organization Identifier field in the Extended Validation
certificates accordinf to the EVG ver. 1.6.9

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 11:20 AM Sándor dr. Szőke via dev-security-policy <

> Extended Validation (EV) certificates and EU Qualified certificates
> for website authentication (QWAC).
>

> European Union introduced the QWAC certificates in the eIDAS
> Regulation in 2014.
>
> Technically the QWAC requirements are based on the CABF EVG and
> intended to be fully upper compatiable with the EV certificates, but
> ETSI has set up some further requirements, like the mandatory usage of the QC
> statements.
>
> ETSI TS 119 495 is a further specialization of the QWAC certificates
> dedicated for payment services according to the EU PSD2 Directive.
> The PSD2 certificates need to consist amoung others the Organization
> Identifier [(OrgId) – OID: 2.5.4.97] field in the Subject DN field,
> which contains PSD2 specific data of the Organization.
>
> Till yesterday the usage of this field was not forbidden in the EV
> certificates, altough as I know there has been discussion about this
> topic due to the different interpretation of the EVG requirements.
> As I know there is an ongoing discussion in the CABF about the
> inclusion of the OrgId field in the definitely allowed fields in the
> Subject DN of the EV certificates.
>
> Today morning I got an email from the CABF mailing list with the new
> version of the BR ver. 1.6.5 and the EVG ver. 1.6.9.  The new version
> of the BR has already been published on the CABF web site but the new
> EVG version hasn't been published yet.
>
> I would like to ask the current status of this new EVG ver 1.6.9.
>
> It is very important for us to have correct information because our CA
> has begun to issue PSD2 certificates to financial institutions which
> are intended to fulfil also the EVG requirements.
> The new version of the EVG definitely states that only the listed
> fields may be used in the Subject DN and the list doesn't contain the OrgId
> field.
>
> We plan to fulfil both the QWAC and the EVG requirements
> simultaneuosly but after having the change in the EVG requirements it
> seems to be impossible in case of PSD2 QWAC certificates.
> The separation of the EV and the QWAC certificates wouldn't be good
> for the Customers and it would rise several issues.
>
> Do you have any idea how to solve this issue?
>
> Will the new version of the EVG ver 1.6.9 be published soon?
>
> Isn't it possible to wait with the issuance the result of the ballot
> regarding the inclusion of the OrgId field?

(Writing in a Google capacity)

At present, the ETSI TS 119 495 is specified incompatibly with the requirements
of the EV Guidelines. The latest version of that TS [1], acknowledges that it
is fundamentally incompatible with the EV Guidelines, in Section 5.3, by
placing the ETSI TS version as superseding that of the requirements of the EVGs.

Unfortunately, this means that a TSP cannot issue a PSD2 certificate from a
publicly trusted certificate and claim compliance with the EV Guidelines, and
as a consequence, cannot claim compliance with the relevant root store
requirements, including Mozilla's and Google's. If a TSP issues a certificate
using the profile in TS 119 495, they must do so from a certificate hierarchy
not trusted by user agents - and as a result, such certificates will not be
trusted by browsers.

ETSI and the Browsers have been discussing this for over a year, and the
browsers offered, within the CA/Browser Forum, a number of alternative
solutions to ETSI that would allow for these two to harmoniously interoperate.
ETSI declined to take the necessary steps to resolve the conflict while it was
still possible. As a consequence, the CA/Browser Forum has attempted to address
some of these issues itself - however, it still requires action by ETSI to
harmonize their work.

The provisions of Section 9.16.3 of the Baseline Requirements, or of 8.1 of the
EV Guidelines, does not trigger in this regard, as the PSD2 regulation is with
respects technology neutral. It is merely the specific implementation defined
by ETSI that is incompatible, as there are compatible ways for TSPs to meet
their obligations under PSD2 and those to browsers and root programs.

The change in EVG 1.6.9 did not change these requirements - they merely
clarified longstanding and existing requirements.

TSPs affected by this should be raising concerns with ETSI ESI as to why ESI
did not more actively engage and solicit feedback as to the design of
PSD2 certificates early on, so as to prevent this issue. The CA/Browser Forum,
and more generally, browsers participating both there and in this Forum, remain
committed to helping prevent situations like this present one, to ensure TSPs
are able to participate in issuing QWACs that are publicly trusted. However, we
rely on those engaging in such SDOs to ensure they do not specify things in a
way that conflicts or contradicts existing standards and requirements.

[1]
https://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_ts/119400_119499/119495/01.03.01_60/ts_119495v010301p.pdf
[2] https://cabforum.org/pipermail/servercert-wg/2019-April/000700.html