That approach could work.

From: Wayne Thayer <wtha...@mozilla.com>
Sent: Friday, May 3, 2019 1:19 PM
To: Ben Wilson <ben.wil...@digicert.com>
Cc: Andrew Ayer <a...@andrewayer.name>; Corey Bonnell <cbonn...@outlook.com>;
mozilla-dev-security-pol...@lists.mozilla.org
Subject: Re: Unretrievable CPS documents listed in CCADB

On Fri, May 3, 2019 at 8:36 AM Ben Wilson via dev-security-policy
<dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org
<mailto:dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org> > wrote:

I'm against having to continually update the exact URL of the CP and CPS in the
CCADB.

A relatively simple solution to this problem is to create a "permanent link" to
the current version of these docs (e.g.
https://digicert.com/repository/current_cp.pdf), then modify or redirect the
document that the link returns each time the document is updated as part of the
publishing process. Under this scheme, the CA should never need to worry about
updating CCADB.

  It's pretty easy to find the current CP and CPS from a legal repository.

But not as easy as getting it from a CCADB report, especially when the
repository page doesn't clearly map a policy to a CA certificate.

  Plus, if we point to an exact one in the CCADB, it might not be the one that
is applicable to a given certificate that was issued prior to the most current
CPS.  In other words, you should look at when the certificate was issued and
then figure out which CPS is applicable.

I'm almost always looking for the current policy rather than trying to identify
the version applicable to a specific certificate.