> I think this bears expansion because I don't think it's been clearly
> documented what flow you believe is currently permitted today that will be
> prevented tomorrow with this change.

To be clear, In that statement was referring to that scenario being allowed
under the proposed change where the mail provider who is authoritative for a
domain can get certificates for its users.

Specifically where Wayne suggested:
"CAs MUST NOT delegate validation of the domain name part of an email
address to a 3rd party."

Are you suggesting with that change mail providers cannot get certificates for
their users without the CA validating the local party?

> The level of abstraction here doesn't
> help, because understanding the state diagram of what the SAAS is
> requesting, and who it's requesting it of, is vital to understanding the
> security properties.

I put together a quick diagram to try to visually explain the flow:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ocfow995aluowyl/auth%20redirect%20cert%20flow.png?dl=0

> I'm still at an absolute loss for understanding your flow and what you
> believe is validated, so I do not feel able to evaluate these alternatives,
> other than to note that I find problems with all of them. I'm hoping you
> can, focusing solely on the CA validation process, describe who is
> validating what, and when.

Hopefully, the diagram helps to clarify if not let me know.