The way I understand it is, generally speaking, Root CAs may be kept in a
root store for as long as the root key material is not compromised in any
way. In practice Root CA certificates are removed at the operator's request
when they believe it is no longer needed, or the root store operator
believes it should be removed due to the key material being vulnerable to
brute forcing, or some other policy reason (e.g. violation or misuse). Of
course it is possible for renewed Root CA certificates to replace older
ones as long as they are signed with the same key material- allowing
everything else chained to it still be valid (I've seen this happen once
with the "GlobalSign Root CA" originally published back in 1998.)
While keeping expired Root CAs may not useful for web server certificates
chaining up to an expired CA certificate, it is useful for codesigning
certificates. Timestamped codesigned objects can continue to work after
their certificate has expired as the "timestamp" shows that a certificate
was valid *at the time it performed the signature*. Have a look here:
https://serverfault.com/questions/878919/what-happens-to-code-sign-certificates-when-when-root-ca-expires
 .
Samuel Pinder

On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 1:32 AM Vincent Lours via dev-security-policy <