On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 01:59:33 -0800 (PST)
Ian Carroll via dev-security-policy
<dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:

> These certificates expired in 2019 and are thus no longer a problem,
> but they were actively used by the customer (e.infinityspeakers.com
> still serves one of them) and it does not appear anyone has noticed.

I guess this is the most relevant part here. Noone has noticed.

I see that a lot of people are having fun pointing out these issues
again and again to show how sloppy CAs work. Which is fine I guess, but
it leads to the question what the point of all this is. Maybe it's time
to change the WebPKI rules to reflect that - either say "any information
in a certificate that is not the CN/SAN is yolo and can be whatever and
web clients should make sure they never display that informaiton" or
"any useless extra information should be skipped".

Let's be honest: There are two reasons these extra fields exist in the
first place, and no good one. One reason is they are legacy baggage from
the X.509 standard. If we'd rewrite the webpki today we wouldn't have
such fields. The other is that they are upselling features where CAs can
create the illusion that there are more or less valuable certificates.

--
Hanno Böck
https://hboeck.de/