Using ACME as the revocation reporting mechanism moves the issue from using a
bespoke proof-of-possession/revocation request protocol to a known address
(i.e., the problem-reporting address disclosed in each CA’s CPS/CCADB) to an
issue of using a known proof-of-possession/revocation protocol to a largely
non-discoverable address (i.e., the “revoke-cert” endpoint of each CA’s ACME
server).

There is no central registry of ACME directory URLs, so still significant work
would be required to make ACME’s “revoke-cert” endpoint useful across CAs.

As an alternative, a standard “revocation request” format could be developed
that leverages the relative discoverability of each CA’s problem-reporting
mechanism.

Thanks,

Corey