As already said, this is purely about personal data processing, so the relevant
regulation applies. I don't see need for the Root Programs to deal with this,
as compliance with privacy regulations is already a requisite for Webtrust and
other audits.

In countries affected by GDPR, which is the one I'm more familiar,
incorporating in a DB the email address and use it for unsolicited email
wouldn't be permitted. This would be OK only if the contact comes from a web
form where the sender can see the privacy notice and explicitly accepts been
contacted for marketing purposes. Implicit consent is not allowed anymore.