On Sat, Jul 4, 2020 at 9:17 AM Buschart, Rufus <rufus.busch...@siemens.com>
wrote:

> Dear Ryan!

ETSI ESI members, especially the vice chairs, often like to make this claim
of “simple comparison”, but that fails to take into account the holistic
picture of how the audits are designed, operated, and their goals to
achieve.

For example, you will find nothing to the detail of say the AICPA
Professional Standards (AT-C) to provide insight into the obligations about
how the audit is performed, methodological requirements such as sampling
design, professional obligations regarding statements being made which can
result in censure or loss of professional qualification. You have clear
guidelines on reporting and expectations which can be directly mapped into
the reports produced. You also have a clear recognition by WebTrust
auditors about the importance of transparency. They are not a checklist of
things to check, but an entire set of “assume the CA is not doing this”
objectives. And even if all this fails, the WebTrust licensure and review
process provides an incredibly valuable check on shoddy auditors, because
it’s clear they harm the “WebTrust brand”

ETSI ESI-based audits lack all of that. They are primarily targeted at a
different entity - the Supervisory Body within a Member State - and ETSI
auditors fail to recognize that browsers want, and expect, as much detail
as provided to the SB and more. We see the auditors, and the TC, entirely
dismissive to the set of concerns regarding the lack of consistency and
transparency. There is similarly no equivalent set of professional
standards here: this is nominally handled by the accreditation process for
the CAB by the NAB, except that the generic nature upon which ETSI ESI
audits are designed means there are few normative requirements on auditors,
such as sampling and reporting. Unlike WebTrust, where the report has
professional obligations on the auditor, this simply doesn’t exist with
ETSI: if it isn’t a checklist item on 319 403, then the auditor can say
whatever they want and have zero professional obligations or consequences.
At the end of the day, an ETSI audit, objectively, is just a checklist
review: 403 provides too little assurance as to anything else, and lacks
the substance that holistically makes a WebTrust audit.

It is a comparison of “paint by numbers” to an actual creative work of art,
and saying “I don’t understand, they’re both use paint and both are of a
house”. And while it’s true both involve some degree of creative judgement,
and it’s up to
https://mobile.twitter.com/artdecider to sort that out, one of those
paintings is more suited to the fridge than the mantelpiece.

The inclusion of the ETSI criteria, back in v1.0 of the Mozilla Root Store
Policy in 2005, wasn’t based on a deeply methodical examination of the
whole process. It was “Microsoft uses it, so they probably found it
acceptable”. And it’s continuance wasn’t based on it meeting needs, so much
as “it’d be nice to have an alternative to WebTrust for folks to use”. But
both of those statements misunderstood the value ETSI ESI audits provide
and the systemic issues, even if they were well-intentioned. The
contemporary discussions, at that time, both of Scott Perry’s review (and
acceptance) as an auditor independent of the WebTrust/ETSI duo and of the
CACert audit, provide ample insight into the expectations and needs.

I don’t dismiss ETSI ESI for what it is trying to do: serve a legal
framework set of objectives (eIDAS, which is itself neutral with respect to
ETSI ESI audit schemes, as we see from the currently notified schemes). But
that’s not what we’re trying to do, not what we need, and certainly lacks
the body of supporting documents that provide transparency how audits are
conducted, the professional consequences as to misrepresentation, and the
engagement and agility we need to address these challenges. That ETSI ESI
is still dismissive of the need for documenting incident reports in the
audits, for example, simply highlights the continued throwing of good money
after bad. And honestly, that’s OK: ETSI ESI and the Supervisory Bodies can
work that out. The NAB/CAB Inconsistency among member states is clearly an
issue of concern for ENISA and the EC, because it means their needs aren’t
met. But there’s nothing at all to suggest that because ETSI made a
checklist that looks like WebTrust’s checklist that they are, at all,
remotely comparable. It is, in my view, no different than if someone came
to m.d.s.p. and would like to be an auditor because, look, they have a
checklist! And all their friends trust them, so you know they’re
trustworthy! Yet that’s what happened with ETSI audits, and I strongly
believe it was a mistake.

Nominally, this would be an area that ACAB’c can step in, except you
realize it’s the same folks and the same problems. See the thread re:
ACAB’c in which we’re still in the place where a claim is made “Ah, we do
something, that’s why we’re trustworthy” and I have to point out public
contradictions to that.

We can debate the merits of these statements, as I’m sure some auditors
will jump in and do so, but my original point was one predicated on a lack
of transparency and accountability by ETSI auditors that would remotely
raise to the same level of assurance that we would see from AICPA, CPA
Canada, or ISAE. ETSI is 100 years behind in having that body of documented
evidence and procedure. And that absence is important enough that I don’t
think the continued acceptance of ETSI audits should be a goal.