On Sun, Jul 12, 2020 at 10:13:59PM +0200, Oscar Conesa via dev-security-policy
wrote:
> Some CAs may want to assume a leadership role in the sector and unilaterally
> assume more additional strict security controls. That is totally legitimate.
> But it is also legitimate for other CAs to assume a secondary role and limit
> ourselves to complying with all the requirements of the Root Program. You
> cannot remove a CA from a Root Program for not meeting fully SUBJETIVE
> additional requirements.

I fear that your understanding of the Mozilla Root Store Policy is at odds
with the text of that document.

"Mozilla MAY, at its sole discretion, decide to disable (partially or fully)
or remove a certificate at any time and for any reason."

I'd like to highlight the phrase "at its sole discretion", and also "for any
reason".

If the CA Module owner wakes up one day and, having had a dream which causes
them to dislike the month of July, decides that all CAs whose root
certificates have a notBefore in July must be removed, the impacted CAs do
not have any official cause for complaint.  I have no doubt that such an
arbitrary decision would be reversed, and the consequences would not make it
into production, but the decision would not be reversed because it "cannot"
happen, but rather because it is contrary to the interests of Mozilla and
the user community which Mozilla serves.

- Matt