Hi, Matt,

We thought hard about the agility concerns for this particular application and
the impact to the WebPKI and CT ecosystems. First, all certificates involved in
this design are checked for expiration, revocation, and Certificate
Transparency using all of the same logic that verifies TLS certificates on
Apple platforms. Second, we are automating the entire process by which partners
can submit their third-party-issued TLS certificates and the configuration is
deployed to clients. Furthermore, the clients are able to get updated
configuration within twenty-four hours. Additionally, as Jacob indicated, we
consider this a relatively short-term solution in order to provide Public
Health Authorities necessary statistics to respond to the current public health
crisis and will be adopting a different solution in a future release. If you
have specific question or concerns about how the agility of this architecture
would negatively impact the WebPKI, I am happy to answer those.

We specifically chose not to issue Apple certificates for these keys because we
did not want users to have to trust only Apple's assertion that this key is for
a third party.

Bailey