The bits of information included in the CN field (company name, version,
etc) created intermediate separation from the rest and the additional
benefit of these bits of information included in the CN field in an
intermediate was a person could locate with some accuracy at first glance
the CA the intermediate belongs too and that can help in many different
ways.

The problem with the Let's Encrypt R3 intermediate is that the CN field is
both unique and not unique. It's unique CN in the sense of the name "R3"
and also only Let's Encrypt uses that name in an intermediate. It's not an
unique CN because it's not random enough and doesn't have any other
information to separate the intermediate if another CA decided to issue an
intermediate with the same CN name "R3". Also from a first glance
prospective it's hard to determine the issuer in this format without
looking inside the intermediate subject.

If Let's Encrypt R3 intermediate CN was hypothetically "LE R3" naming that
would be enough uniqueness other intermediates, very short naming and from
a first glance prospective easier to determine the issuer.

The main biggest problem point for me is the lack of uniqueness of the
intermediate with the "R3" naming on it's own.

Burton