I'm curious whether this approach of cross-signing from a root certificate which has already expired is exceptional for Let's Encrypt.  I'm not aware of any discussion on what conditions this approach could be accepted by Mozilla and other root certificate programs. Or, is it just an usual practice of CA? If yes, this approach may provide some new solutions in the CA ecosystem.

Firstly, for those new CAs who do not have their root certificates included in the root certificate programs, they may acquire an expired root certificate from an existing CA who are probably more willing to sell the expired root certificate rather than an active root certificate.

Secondly, for some CAs whose root certificates are going to expire, they may continue using the root certificates to issue intermediate CA certificates beyond its expiry. So, there will be no need for rollover of root certificates to new one.

Are they good or bad things?