On Mon, 8 Feb 2021 13:40:05 -0500
Andrew Ayer via dev-security-policy
<dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:

> The BRs permit CAs to bypass CAA checking for a domain if "the CA or
> an Affiliate of the CA is the DNS Operator (as defined in RFC 7719)
> of the domain's DNS."

Hmm. Would this exemption be less dangerous for a CA which is the
Registry for the TLD ?

I can see that there are a set of potential problems that can happen
where an entity mistakenly believes they are the DNS Operator when they
in fact are not, because there's a difference between configuring your
DNS servers to answer (I can tell mine to answer for google.com) and
having the authority to answer, but it seems like it's pretty clear
that either you are the registry for some TLD or you aren't, and so
that confusion ought not to arise in this case.

The existence of the exemption doesn't mean you need to take advantage
of it of course, it may be that any organisation large enough to
possess a CA and a Registry function today thinks it would prefer to
use public methods and not try to short-cut internally anyway, in which
case my thought doesn't matter.

Nick.