Hi Kathleen,

It was my impression from earlier discussions
<https://groups.google.com/g/mozilla.dev.security.policy/c/Bf6HSA44528> that
the plan was for the new CCADB field to contain a URL which points to a
document containing only a JSON array of partitioned CRL URLs, rather than
the new CCADB field containing such an array directly.

Obviously this plan may have changed due to other off-list conversations,
but I would like to express a strong preference for the original plan. At
the scale at which Let's Encrypt issues, it is likely that our JSON array
will contain on the order of 1000 CRL URLs, and will add a new one (and age
out an entirely-expired one) every 6 hours or so. I am not aware of any
existing automation which updates CCADB at that frequency.

Further, from a resiliency perspective, we would prefer that the CRLs we
generate live at fully static paths. Rather than overwriting CRLs with new
versions when they are re-issued prior to their nextUpdate time, we would
leave the old (soon-to-be-expired) CRL in place, offer its replacement at
an adjacent path, and update the JSON to point at the replacement. This
process would have us updating the JSON array on the order of minutes, not
hours.

We believe that earlier "URL to a JSON array..." approach makes room for
significantly simpler automation on the behalf of CAs without significant
loss of auditability. I believe it may be helpful for the CCADB field
description (or any upcoming portion of the MRSP which references it) to
include specific requirements around the cache lifetime of the JSON
document and the CRLs referenced within it.

Thanks,
Aaron

On Wed, Feb 24, 2021 at 12:36 PM Kathleen Wilson via dev-security-policy <