On Tue, Feb 22, 2022 at 2:30 AM Matt Palmer <mpal...@hezmatt.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 21, 2022 at 06:03:43PM +0100, Matthias van de Meent wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 21, 2022 at 5:09 PM Ryan Sleevi <r...@sleevi.com> wrote:
> see
> > >>
> https://medium.com/s2wblog/post-mortem-of-klayswap-incident-through-bgp-hijacking-en-3ed7e33de600
> certificate, I

> other

> > > I’m not sure I see how 1 addresses this risk by itself. Are you
> thinking
> > > about this in isolation, or combined with some other mitigations (like
> RPKI
> > > and DNSSEC)? And, if combining, do we really need 1 to bind the method,
> > > versus something like account binding?
> >
> > Account binding might not be available for certain CAs.
>
> Then don't use those certain CAs, and restrict those CAs from issuing for
> your domain by not including them the domain's CAA records.

That assumes that there are CAs that implement RFC8657, and that I trust
for my domains, and would issue certificates for my use cases.

> I would like it if
> > e.g. CAA would also allow for restricting validation methods:
>
> RFC8657 defines the `validationmethods` parameter to the `issue` and
> `issuewild` CAA properties.  Again, if a given CA doesn't support those
> parameters, you can avoid the problem by not including that CA in your CAA
> records.

Of the roots in the Mozilla root store [0], only one CPS mentions RFC 8657,
and that one does not give me any guarantee that it will actually limit
issuance to only the verification methods in my CAA record: "Google may
choose to limit issuance according to RFC 8657" (i.e. non-conformance to
RFC 8657 does not violate their CPS). Additionally, the CPS does not
provide validation method identifiers to be used for BR validation methods;
so only ACME validation methods are usable (while at the same time useless
because there is no ACME endpoint that I could use).

CA/B Forum Baseline Requiremets requiring compliance to RFC 8657 would be a
great improvement.

- Matthias

[0]
https://ccadb-public.secure.force.com/mozilla/IncludedCACertificateReport,
searched each root for CP/CPS queried for "CAA", stopping the search when I
find a CP/CPS for that root / CA that contains the Issuer Domain Name.