Hi Ben,

There’s a few CA and CRL lifecycle events linked to this change:

1.      T= 0 : CA creation
2.      T= 0 + a: CRL URL assignment (not yet publishing CRLs)
3.      T = max 7 days: CA disclosure in CCADB (section 5.3.2)
4.      T = 7 days + b: CRL disclosure in CCADB (section 4.1)
5.      T = 7 days + c: First CRL published
6.      T = d: First certificate issued from CA (with CRL in certificate
profile)

The proposed change to section 4.1 means that CRLs need to be published as soon
as they are being disclosed in CCADB.

In some cases, CAs are generated a while before they are used, for example TLS
CAs that we rotate on a quarterly basis. In that case, CRLs will only be
published close to the when the CA becomes operational.

It seems the timeline to populate the CRL information in CCADB is currently
flexible and supports this approach (i.e. populating and publishing the CRL a
while after the CA is disclosed).

Is this the correct understanding? If there’s a different interpretation or
intention to restrict this timeline in the future, we would like to further
discuss.

Thanks

Christophe