> A simple fix would be to require that CAs use HTTPS URLs for CRL shards,
> though this wouldn't be as strong as relying on indicators within the CRL
> itself.

I believe including the IDP is the better solution, for three reasons:

Firstly, compromise of the web server/CDN serving the sharded CRLs would allow
an attacker to carry out the substitution attack described in this thread,
whereas the use of IDP would require the attacker to compromise the CA's
signing infrastructure to suppress the inclusion of the extension. Thus, there
is a different level of security in the two approaches.

Secondly, using HTTPS for transport raises the possibility of recursive
revocation lookups, depending on the certificate chain employed.

Lastly, the inclusion of the IDP extension and distributionPoint field in
sub-scoped CRLs is a requirement of RFC 5280 and X.509 and thus must be
unconditionally included (it is a deviation of the profile to omit it). Given
that the inclusion of the IDP is the standard mechanism to prevent exactly the
attack described in this thread, it should be employed here as opposed to
layering hacky fixes on top of CRLs that do not adhere to the profile.

Thanks,
Corey