On Sun, Feb 26, 2023 at 2:22 AM Ryan Hurst <ryan.hu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This thread and associated bug have been silent for an
> uncharacteristically long time, and I am curious as to when this issue will
> be closed.
>

> Furthermore, I would like to understand what changes will be put into
> place to clarify appropriate incident handling behavior. It is important
> that Mozilla establishes a clear protocol for handling security incidents
> and communicates this effectively to all participants.
>

> I am also curious in how Mozilla will choose to interpret the facts that
> have been made available. The way in which this incident is handled will
> establish a precedent for future security incidents, and it is important
> that Mozilla approaches this with a clear and consistent stance.
>

> Ryan Hurst

So my take on this is: we're still in the 2000 era of "apply to be a root
ca, get in by default, stay in by default", that is to say, if you have all
the paperwork and don't do something terrible, well you're good to go.
Witness:

SERPRO issued numerous malformed/bad certificates indicating a lack of the
most basic controls and voluntarily withdrew their application and can
re-apply later.

BJCA.cn has links to what appears to be spyware, but has said "it's fine"
and they have been approved:

This is notice that I am closing public discussion and that I am
recommending that we approve BJCA’s inclusion request.
This begins a 7-day "last call" period for any final objections.

Also no mention or suggestion of limiting them to e.g. .cn for example.

TRUSTCOR not only crossed some lines but then publicly made statements that
were later found to be false, I'm guessing had they "fallen on their sword"
and apologized they'd still be a CA.

Mailing list participation is another good indicator that nobody really
cares, the same 20-30 people are posting, on issues that affect the entire
world.

The reality is that nobody really cares, nothing that bad has happened (at
least in the western world, ignoring the spyware and dead journalists, and
repression in various countries). I have a briefing on this and it boils
down to "if you want to be especially paranoid do what VISA does (
https://developer.visa.com/pages/trusted_certifying_authorities), there's
no point in trying to prevent bad CAs from getting in or staying in".

--
Kurt Seifried (He/Him)
k...@seifried.org