Gervase Markham wrote:
Eddy Nigg (StartCom Ltd.) wrote:
Gerv, I think you are concentrating too much on what Level 2 means, instead of trying to see the whole picture first and which problem the proposal tries to solve. But here a few thoughts about "Level 2", since you are insisting on it. First a few facts:

- This type of certification is the most common after domain validated.

It's also entirely unregulated. A CA can claim that they do identity validation, but there's no way of knowing exactly what they do and how effective it is.

And this is the ONLY thing that EV certs is trying to solve, but this can be solved with EV certs by fixing the browser rules for CA inclusion, and by giving the users more information about the cert in a much friendlier fashion than is available today.

- EV will not be the replacement of "anything higher than domain validated". According to estimates from various sources (including Verisign), EV will be used for between 1000 and 4000 sites, or about *one percent or less *of all issued certificates today.

Do you have a source for these estimates? I think it's rather unlikely that the CAs collectively would have had seven or eight on-site meetings over three years, and devoted so much time to the effort if the total potential income from EV, shared between all of them, was between $500K and $4M.

(No, this is not an excuse to rant about the cost of EV. I mention this only as one reason why I think your estimates are unlikely, not because "EV is all about the money" or anything like that.)

Now, it really depends what you can do with this second Level. And it is a decision which depends on the user mostly. However the user must receive the correct indications and/or information to make a decision, which he today most likely can't.

I don't understand how what you are suggesting would work out in practice. It seems to me that you end up somewhere between these two extremes:

1) Tell the user "The CA has taken the following eight steps to verify the identity of the owner of this website. Using your skill and judgement, decide how effective you think those steps would be at identity validation, and then decide whether to use your credit card here."

2) Tell the user "Yes, you can use your credit card here".

Of course, there are many stages in between. But, as you are saying "the user must receive the correct indications and/or information to make a decision", it seems you are closer to 1) than 2). Would that be fair?

The problem with anything anywhere near 1 is that the user is absolutely unqualified to make such a judgment. It's the equivalent to the following scenario.

Say you want to go somewhere on a bus. There are two competing companies serving the route. You are told "Bus safety is entirely unregulated. Bus company A has the following maintenance and safety procedures. Bus company B has this other set of different procedures. Which would you like to travel with?"

Sounds like the same issue you have trusting PGP signatures, but the CAs evaluation of a companies identity DOES NOT MEAN that the have trust worthy people working for them, or that the security on their data is any good, or that the executives aren't selling data to spammers.

EV certs provide a FALSE sense of security, this is MUCH worse than telling the users "we have done the best possible job at following our policies to validate this entities persona, YOU have to deside if you trust them or not".

Certification is about Identity validation and one shouldn't forget that. No level, including EV, does promise you safeguard of your private information or prevent misuse of your credit card details.

Only insofar that if you know a lot about a person, they are more likely to deal with you honestly.

Yeah and Alienware was easy to deal with and will give me my money back now that they are owned by Dell. Not! It doesn't matter how big a company is or how well you know them. AOL execs still sold peoples info to spammers, Alienware still sells shoddy computers, Microsoft can't figure out where they sent the MAPS subscription to.

The bottom line is Identity validation, especially for companies, will NEVER guarentee trustworthiness.