Eddy Nigg (StartCom Ltd.) wrote:
Gervase Markham wrote:
Eddy Nigg (StartCom Ltd.) wrote:
That's right! But the audit confirms exactly that (in your example, no verification). The CA will have to mark its certificates compared to its policy which was audited accordingly.

Why will they "have to"?

Because they would like to have their certificates detected accordingly. If there is no OID, then the browser doesn't no what to do and probably mark it as the lowest level by default (Just a suggestion - it could also state, that it doesn't know the assigned level, be careful!).

You misunderstand my concern - I apologise for not explaining better. Let me try again.

Why will they "have to" mark their certificates as corresponding to the level which matches its policy, rather than marking them at a higher level? What happens if the CA and the browser vendor disagree about what level a particular type of certificate should be?

Who is the policeman?

Gerv, please answer me this questions here, I'll wait for your answer: Ar you a policeman today?

As much as I can avoid it, no.

Will you be a policeman with EV?

No, because the CA validation practices will get audited against the public documents on the cabforum.org website. So Ernst and Young, KPMG and friends are the policemen.

And, inevitably, there is a certain amount of judgment involved in deciding whether a particular set of practices meet a particular Mozilla "level".
I simply don't think, that this will be an issue at all. The levels will be defined clear and understandable. A CA will be able to judge, if he does A, B, C for level X, if not he goes down one level and checks if he does A and B etc....CAs are not idiots....they can handle that...

If the motives of the CA are solely to be completely honest about it, yes. But given that they can make more money if they can pass less validated certs off as more validated certs, there's a big incentive to say "well, this set of practices corresponds to level 3" when in fact we might think it corresponds to level 2.

Who arbitrates when there's a dispute?

Who arbitrates when there's a dispute today?

No-one. And it's a potential problem.

His suggestion is that CAs self-classify their existing offerings into one of 4 categories.

Therefore the reason I object is that it seems to me that, in the face of the new consumer-level identity spoofing threats which were not present for the first ten years of the life of SSL, _none_ of the current practices are sufficient.
Huuu? "new consumer-level identity spoofing threats"??? LOL

Phishing.

Gerv thinks, that EV is a new invention....Please read a few CA policies and practices and you'll find EV all over...Class 3 validation and higher exists and current practices exist! All it needs is, that browsers know to differentiate between the various verification procedures...this is what is insufficient!

I don't think that any existing practices are as strong as EV. (I'd be interested if you could prove me wrong by pointing me to a public document detailing validation practices, in use by a CA today, which is as strong or stronger).

Both of these are the names of banks. The organisation which obtained these potentially confusing certificates (to prove a point) didn't even have to lie to get them. I'm sure those willing to stretch the truth a bit more could achieve "better" results.

The certificates in questions are most likely domain validated.

Nope. Organisationally validated. Check the certificate contents, and match them up with the relevant CA's products.

Domain validated certificates have the domain name in the O field, not a name like this.

absent the desire of the Mozilla Foundation to play "CA Cop" and spend ages evaluating the different procedures of all the CAs, all we can do is lump all existing "organisationally-validated" certificates into the same "identity not sufficiently verified" category.

Bullshit...you are repeating this, even so you have received answers on this...To "lump all existing" into one category is what browsers have wrongfully done since they exist!!! We are going to change this! That's exactly the wrong...

I agree it is not good to lump everything into one category, but I say that it's unavoidable without documented and third-party-audited standards so we can meaningfully discriminate. Having the Mozilla project find resources to do our own audit is just out of the question.

This is where we disagree. You think it's entirely reasonable for the CAs to self-classify. I don't trust them that far. All of the incentives lead them to want to stretch the truth.

Gerv