Ben Bucksch wrote:
Alaric Dailey wrote:
Heikki Toivonen wrote:
Alaric Dailey wrote:
SSL for identification is worthless without DNS being secured, and no-one on any list wants to talk about that.
I don't understand how you can claim this. SSL *is* the solution to
insecure DNS. Could you explain?
I must have been unclear...  Let me try to clarify

DNS is insecure.

Because SSL relies on DNS, SSL assertions about the identity of a website are.... less than reliable, No matter how thorough the identity check.

You are still unclear. SSL certs - at least EV - state both the owner and the domain name explicitly in the cert. The browser will check the originally intended hostname (in <a href> or manually entered in URLbar) against the domain name in the cert (this is a critical part and the part you may be missing). *If* all the CAs properly verify the owner - using paper, passport, signature, state records etc. -, only the owner can offer a EV SLL enabled website under that domain name. If DNS changes the IP address, the server redirected to won't have the private key to a cert of that domain name, and won't be able to meet the SSL challenge that the browser makes.

(You *may* be thinking of DV (Domain Validation) and Class 1 SSL certs. These are indeed insecure and make SSL a joke. They were a really bad idea and that is one of the reasons behind EV.)

Assuming no DV/Class1 crap, SSL indeed solves the insecure DNS problem, as Heikki stated.

No it doesn't see my earlier email. If you want A LOT more information try reading Bruce Schneier, the Anti-Fraud mailing list to see what I mean.

Therefore even if Verisign is issuing an EV cert for themselves, you can not be assured that the cert hasn't been stolen and the DNS altered

Well, if the cert owner lets his cert being stolen, of course it's not secure anymore. More generally, if an attacker breaks into the owner's server or your own computer for that matter, all hope is lost, you can circumvent *any* verification scheme then.
If DNS were secure, then attempts to use a stolen cert would be thwarted. If the certificate were revoked and If all CRLs were signed, and EVERYONE had checking turned on then attempts to use the stolen cert would be thwarted.

As far as a fix for DNS, everyone hates hearing it, but the fix is already out there no one wants to use it though

http://www.dnssec.com

With that said, and realizing that DNS is only one issue

Yes, and actually, SSL goes much further than DNSsec. The latter is good to prevent DNS spoofs and is much-needed, but it does nothing to protect the content. Even if you're properly resolving to the right IP address, nothing stops a MITM happening at your provider etc.. The provider has full control over where the data streams go and can alter every bit. With SSL, your browser will notice when content bits are altered or coming from the wrong server. With DNSSec, only the hostname -> IP resolution is secured, but not the actual IP path to the server at all. Again, I agree that DNSSec should have been rolled out 5 years ago. But SSL does a lot more than DNSSec.

SSL and DNSSEC are 2 different things. Lets not say that they solve the same problem, or insinuate that I made such an idiotic statement. SSL is encryption, DNS is a db that translates human meaningful names into IPs, SSL relies on DNS, therefore if DNS is insecure, than SSL is made vulnerable. In fact, I have asserted many times that the ONLY way a CA can be sure of domain validation is if the DNS for that domain is hosted by that CA.

With that said, SSL can prevent an MITM, but is another problem completely. Let me give a quick example using IM and get to my point.

Do you trust Skype Instant Messages to be secure? How do you know there isn't an MITM, or what encryption scheme they are using, they might using 56bit DES encryption. How do you know that you are talking to who you think when you have no way of validating the keys?

With OTR and Simp, you can validate the keys yourself, and in fact it OTR forces you to.

My point....

Short of a complete overhaul of the internet, the are more problems with SSL than EV can fix.... Eddys proposal allows the users to see the info and validate it themselves, and gives them more information than they currently have, and therefore is a huge step in the right direction without lining the pockets of Verisign and Microsoft. Even if EV certs go in, we will fall into the same problems we have now, criminals will get smarter and they will setup fake corporations, pay off people or whatever. Without fixing the underlying problems, time is better spent putting information into the users hands rather than money in the pockets of the big corporations while simultaneously driving the small companies out of business.