Hi List,

I'm going to submit an application for the Google Summer of Code program
with the hopes of working with the Mozilla Foundation.  Specifically, I
would like to enhance Mozilla Firefox's extensible architecture to make
it more secure against malicious code.  I was wondering if there is
someone on this list who would be qualified (and interested!) as a
mentor for this project, or if an individual could be recommended.

There is currently a paper in submission on the recent work I've done on
this topic with my Ph.D. advisor and another graduate student.  We have
isolated some problem areas but have not had sufficient time and
resources to address them all.  The current work spans the Firefox
Extension Manager, XUL Document loader, Spidermonkey, and more.  I would
like to extend the project to also incorporate parts of NSS and the
Component Registrar.  I am hopeful that the work can be completed in a
way that would be acceptable for incorporation into the Firefox code
base by working with Mozilla.org over the Summer.

I'll be writing up a technical report on our initial work to accompany
my application.  Prior to that, please let me know if additional project
details would be helpful with this inquiry.

Sincerely,

Mike Ter Louw
Ph.D. Candidate, Computer Science
University of Illinois at Chicago