On 03/03/2009 05:51 PM, Boris Zbarsky:
Jean-Marc Desperrier wrote:
But, and as the link Eddy just reported shows, the attack is far from
being only for SSL.

I think we should reconsider the options available to make the domain
name more visible for http connexions.
What about a white version of the hostname display for http sites ?

Wait. Why does the domain matter at all for non-SSL connections? It's
not like we have any guarantees against MITM here...

If we train users to watch out for positive SSL indicators and warn before submitting any information I think this should not be necessary. However I could imagine a re-vamped UI where the actual domain name is more prominent and the real URL less important for the average user.

Something like this:

+----+-------------+
|SSL | DOMAIN.COM  |                  URL                |

The URL part might be only optional or hide and reappear on mouse-over.

--
Regards

Signer: Eddy Nigg, StartCom Ltd.
Jabber: start...@startcom.org