I actually think the modular approach is better for the web developer
as the policy is easier to write and understand.

But I do share your concern, Atleast right now, it is pretty easy to
say -- user agents that support XSSModule are protected against XSS
and user agents that support history module are protected against
history enumeration attacks.  Going forward, we want to keep the
separation just as clear and simple.

* This would require very clear and simply stated threat models for
each module. Each module's threats should be (ideally) disjoint.
* A module should be small and complete. We should make it clear why
every part of the module is important for the given threat model. This
would hopefully ensure that browser vendors either implement the whole
module or none of it. (I.E implementing half of a module will give no
security)

I think this breakup of the spec into modules is useful to the
webdevelopers (making it easier to understand) and easier for the
browser vendors to implement.

Regards
Devdatta