> I find it rather surreal that we are arguing over whether to implement a
> whitelist or a blacklist in CSP.  I am strongly in the whitelist camp

I don't think that is what Adam is arguing about.

Writing protocols for the web is fundamentally different from that for
other systems. A fundamental constraint (amongst others) which you
should support is (random term) 'anarchic' extensibility. 'Anarchic'
in the sense that we don't know what/how the system is going to be
extended and we probably wont have a say in it. Designing under such
constraints, he proposes a policy mechanism which involves
blacklisting only. Current-CSP on the other hand seems to have started
from 'white listing is the most secure way' and then gone on to
develop a mechanism for the web.  Whitelisting might be the most
secure way but that doesn't necessarily equate with good for the web.
If you can come up with a mechanism that under these web constraints
is still white list only, you are most welcome.

Don't get me wrong , I do agree with your approach. But the argument
isn't as simple as whitelisting vs. blacklisting -- if you phrase it
that way no security researcher is going to say 'blacklisting'.

Cheers
Devdatta