> This would cover quite a bit, actually; most things really just want to
> stick some persistent data _somewhere_, not anywhere in particular.  As an

There are two related properties we are talking about here :
1. Most extensions can survive with just nsIFile access to a (their
own) particular folder
2. Currently most extensions only use nsIFile to access things in
their own folder anyway.

>From what I read, you said 1. is true. I am also interested in knowing
about the second. Do you have any idea about the second property
through your involvement in the AMO/extdev community ?

Cheers
Devdatta