This strangeness occurred to me too.

The assumption indeed is that the user expresses trust on sites
converted to app tabs; he will check his location and the security UI
before converting the tab to an app tab.  Once it is an app tab, any
links directing the user off the site will open in a new standard tab,
so that the user won't be switching top-level document domains in the
app tab.

There are two other things to consider.  There must be a way to get at
the security/SSL UI; this will be available when the user clicks the app
tab's icon. Also, certificate errors should be obvious; the usual
security warnings will show up if there are cert errors.

We've briefly discussed downgrading the app tab to a regular tab if the
certificate's security properties change (e.g., EV->DV, or a new cert
shows up, etc).  We also briefly discussed what would cause the tab
downgrade to happen (e.g., should we downgrade when the cert changes
even if it's valid?  This would hose CDNs).

Cheers,
Sid