On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 1:11 AM, David Barrera
<dbarr...@ccsl.carleton.ca> wrote:

> SSL works well for authentication and as Jonas points out, it is well
> understood by developers and the community. If B2G apps will *only* be

 ah... actually.... :)

 it was only until the BBC started using SSL as a means to terminate
the possibility of viewing iplayer videos that i understood that it
was even _possible_ to use SSL for that purpose.

 up until that point i always understood SSL to be nothing more than a
means to guarantee end-to-end privacy.

 if someone with 30 years experience of working with computers can be
ignorant (me!) of all the uses to which SSL can be put, it's probably
best *not* to assume that it's well-understood by "developers and the
community", eh? :)

 if there was a wiki page which was being utilised to collate all this
information i would, of course be inviting people to add that
information such that its impact can be properly assessed.

 even i forgot that SSL can be used for private-key/public-key
authentication, so i made an error earlier today in the replies to
jonas that i will have to reassess.

 gaah.  complicated.

l.