On Mar 23, 2012, at 1:51 AM, JOSE MANUEL CANTERA FONSECA wrote:

>> === Installed applications with WebAPI access ===
>
> Why don't you call them 'Trusted Installable Applications'? The user could
> also install a Web Application but which has not been discovered through
> an app store and as as result, it might not be trusted ...

Possible; I agree the current terminology is poor.  I think we might have an
hangup on "Trusted" and I do agree with the concerns raised around that.
"Installable Web Applications" may be sufficient.

>> === Installed applications with OS-level API access ===
>
> Why don't we call them 'Trusted Core Applications'?

That seems closer to the mark.

>> direct access to highly sensitive APIs.  These apps are approved by a
>> trusted 3rd party (ie. carrier or manufacturer) app store for implicit
>> access to dangerous APIs.
>
> Or they could be pre-installed on the device by the Carrier / Manufacturer
>

>> Use cases: User might want to swap out their default phone dialer or SMS
>> client for a different one.  Some APIs may be too difficult to secure so
>> such apps may only be granted privileges after the app store has obtained
>> certain assurances from the developer.
>
> And probably after the carrier manufacturer has verified them
>

>> Technical characteristics: Largely the same as the previous "Installed
>> applications with WebAPI access" category, except for the extra trust
>> granted to it by the store.
>
> Or by the carrier / manufacturer

I agree with your 3 points above.

>> Security & Privacy Characteristics: Implicit access to dangerous APIs
>> means the risk to the user or carrier should this type of app be
>> compromised is very high.  For example, this type of app can dial a phone
>> number directly without any user involvement or knowledge.
>>
>> Scope: Security permissions are granted to code enumerated in the
>> manifest.
>>

> What do you mean by 'Code Enumerated in the Manifest'?

Unless this has changed recently, I believe we are using appcache for
installable apps.  Appcache requires a manifest that contains an explicit list
of assets to assure they can be cached locally and that the app will work
offline and be performant when network connectivity is poor / inconsistent.
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/offline.html
  Lucas.