On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 00:54:53 -0700
Jesse Ruderman wrote:

> 1) If a site sends an STS header

In my opinion STS shouldn't be implemented professionally in it's
current state and with browsers treatment of valid dates. I looked to
implementing it and then realised that a user with a flat bios battery
(such as my mate) would be given DOS to my websites due to an incorrect
date and so certificate. I mailed an RFC maintainer but he saw that as
a users problem to fix. My mate would have no idea where to get that
battery from, never mind fit it unless I found the time and helped him.
There must be thousands if not millions like him.

SSL needs fixing properly with far less CAs. MITM shouldn't occur but
users should be protected as much as possible from it as it is a
rediculously possible occurence against the majority. A valid
certificate for a different site could also easily fool a user anyway.
Maybe (though I think SSL should be fixed at source by controlling cert
issue better and only by domain validation as it costs little more to
forge a company), accessing a non initially physically user interacted
ssl domain could throw a warning across the board (such as redirects),
blocking would likely break some sites and maybe email links.

> When clearing history, retain the STS bit

I can see that being abused for tracking.

> When connected to an untrusted wireless network

For known untrusted networks it's less of an issue, with
hardware keyloggers being a greater risk as things like comodo firewall
and various other intenet services or home servers do/can provide VPNs.

I don't use the pass manager or form filler except when testing sites,
but they seem like reasonable ideas.