On 4/17/2012 8:47 PM, Lucas Adamski wrote:
On 4/17/2012 3:43 PM, Maire Reavy wrote:
It feels like we are designing most of the chrome UX/UI for this feature on
this thread -- instead of just calling out
the security requirements for a UX/UI design of the chrome.  If we are
designing the UX/UI on this thread, then we need
to get the UX/UI people (people like Boriss) involved.

We definitely need to design the chrome UX/UI piece of the app, including mock
ups.  I just thought that was a separate
thread/meeting that happened after we got the security requirements from this
thread.

What am I missing or misunderstanding?  Or is the entire design happening now
and therefore I should be pinging the
UX/UI people to get on this thread ASAP?
We are designing the security model for these APIs, which has potential
implications for the app use cases and UX.
Nobody is proposing a particular button design here, but the question of which
mechanism we use is integral to the
security model.  We are having this discussion on the webapps list specifically
because we need the broader perspective
(outside of just security) to ensure we understand the inherent tradeoffs in
the various proposals.  Thanks!
   Lucas.
It seems that one thing we've discovered is that we can't separate the security design and discussion from the UX/UI design itself. Our UX/UI teams would tell us that the most critical and interesting pieces of the UX/UI design is not a particular button design, but rather if there is a button at all, where it is on the screen and how it interacts with and affects the user -- which is exactly what this thread discussion has turned into.

I have no idea who is subscribed to webapps list, but I know who I would invite to a UX/UI design meeting, and I think many of them aren't on this thread, or they would have chimed in by now.

What's more, I think people participating in this discussion are going to be more comfortable seeing the actual mock ups themselves, along with the UX description of the feature, before agreeing to a solution.

I'm going to reach out to the UX/UI designers/contributors who would normally be involved in a camera/mic app design meeting, and ask them to catch up on this thread if they haven't been following it. Once they are involved in the discussion, I believe the next logical step would be to have a meeting and ask them to create candidate mock ups for this feature, accompanied by UX descriptions (what behaviors we would see for each use case we care about). I believe those will get us what we need to drive toward consensus and approval.

If anyone thinks this plan is crazy, let me know, but this feels like the logical next step.

Thanks.
-Maire

--
Maire Reavy<mre...@mozilla.com>