On 8/9/13 4:00 PM, Josh Matthews wrote:
A brief twitter observation convinced me to dig into our build system
effeciency. First off, some numbers from a -j10 build after a `make clean`:

origin/master:
real    3m51.867s
user    3m41.425s
sys    0m10.434s

jdm/parbuild [1]:
real    2m36.697s
user    4m9.334s
sys    0m10.177s

With the changes from my parbuild branch, we build all subdirectories in
parallel, then libmsg and libutil together, libnet by itself, then
libgfx and libscript build together, followed by the main servo crate.
It's probably possible to decouple libgfx from libnet (there are
precisely two references to the Image type from libnet), but that
wouldn't actually affect the total build time in a parallel setting,
since libgfx takes 12 seconds, libscript takes 60s, the servo crate
takes 46s, and the rest are on the low end of less than 10 seconds.
libscript is obviously the long tail, and it's going to get worse as
time goes on.

These numbers seem awfully high. It's probably worth digging into what the problem is and filing bugs against rustc. Is this with optimization on or off?

Patrick