On 2/11/14 9:42 PM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
Obtaining the list of platform fonts is incredibly
performance-sensitive. We have a gfxPlatformFontList object for this,
which caches the font list indefinitely. When the system notifies us of
a font list change, we rebuild our font list from scratch, but that's
very rare of course. The tricky part is how to build this list without
slowing down startup. The key thing is that we don't always need the
list. We can look up simple fonts by family name without having a
complete list of the platform fonts, and for each language we have a
list of default font names that have a good chance of supporting the
characters of that language; all that means we can render many pages
without needing the platform font list.

Aha. That last one is probably going to be the biggest win in Servo. Everything I've tested uses pretty standard fonts, so probably the other browsers aren't hitting the platform font list at all. Filed an issue:

https://github.com/mozilla/servo/issues/1677

Patrick