Note: the first PR related to overloadable deref has landed.  This
means that the `get()` and `get_mut()` methods can go away and be
replaced with an overloaded `*` operator. For now, the derefs must be
explicit. I'm still reviewing the second part of this work, which
integrates with auto-deref.  But I'm sure that it'll have landed by
the time that you guys catch up with rustc anyhow.

(Not related to the subtyping issues discussed later)

Niko