Nick just brought up the topic of adding a second compact string representation
to the JS engine (motivated by string memory use).  One question was whether to
use ASCII (which V8 does, iirc) or UTF8.  Several DOM people have pointed out
over the years that if SM would accept UTF8 it'd be really good for Gecko, so I
was leaning toward UTF8 but hoping for some measurement of how much it'd win
over ASCII to back this up.  Sounds like UTF8 would serve Servo well too.

Another question is how much of the total win would result from adding the
ability to parse UTF8 directly (technically, the JSAPI accepts utf8 chars, but
they are immediately inflated) vs. JS strings passed in/out through JSAPI.