On 10/28/14 2:40 PM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
OK, but I still have the general question of how your overflow-based
invalidation handles reflows. The basic problem is style changes to
element A can result in geometry changes to element B where B is not a
descendant of A. For example suppose <body> contains two DIV children A
and B and something changes the height of A so B moves down. How does
overflow-based invalidation ensure B is repainted?

In that case you have a change in "absolute position"† of B, which is computed as a top-down pass (with DL building on the way back up), which would cause an invalidation. So it's not just overflow regions that we use, it's overflow regions plus absolute position.

Patrick

† Which is really not a good name--we should call it "page position" or something to avoid the obvious name clash with the unrelated CSS concept.