This week I took some time to produce updated versions of Skia and
rust-azure for use in Servo. I'd be really happy if people could do some
minor smoke testing before I create PRs for updating Servo itself. There
are branches available at:

https://github.com/mrobinson/skia/tree/upstream-2014-06-16
and
https://github.com/mrobinson/rust-azure/tree/libazure-734

While I went through the process, I gave a bit a thought to how to make
the upgrade easier in the future. Here are some suggestions:

Skia:
1. Since the contents of the repository are based directly on upstream,
use the rebase style when updating to a later version. This will keep
the history cleaner and allow squashing fixups during updates. A clean
history makes future updates easier.
2. Create a new branch for each update.

Azure:
1. Continue using the merge style when updating the contents of the
libazure directory.
2. Maintain a set of patch files that track the changes to the libazure
directory. This will allow people to copy in the upstream contents and
reapply all patches, without losing any important changes. Ideally, the
patches to libazure would be incorporated directly upstream at some point.
3. Like Skia, create a new branch for each update, just to keep things tidy.

Thanks!

--Martin