Hi,

I am facing the following issue while trying to build servo in development
mode with the command        ./mach build --release

Running virtualenv with interpreter /usr/local/bin/python2.7

Traceback (most recent call last):

 File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/virtualenv.py", line 17, in
<module>

   import zlib

ImportError: No module named zlib

Python virtualenv failed to execute properly.

Following are the ways I have tried to solve it:

   -

   There was post in StackOverflow which said this was due to Ubuntu
   changing where the shared libraries are located in order to support
   multiple architectures. I tried the following command:

cd /lib
 sudo ln -s x86_64-linux-gnu/libz.so.1 libz.so

I received an error as follows:

ln: failed to create symbolic link ‘libz.so’: File exists

   -

   There is a GitHub page which addresses these issues:

https://github.com/yyuu/pyenv/wiki/Common-build-problems

I tried the following commands from there, still the problem persists:

sudo apt-get install -y make build-essential libssl-dev zlib1g-dev
libbz2-dev \
libreadline-dev libsqlite3-dev wget curl llvm libncurses5-dev

   -

   I have even reinstalled the Python from one of the links in
   Stackoverflow hoping that zlib would get installed with the new Python
   version but it didn’t work

Could you please let me know how I can effectively solve this issue.

Yours sincerely,
Pranesha Shashwath Kumar
MS student NCSU
Computer Science