On Wednesday 2015-11-04 19:16 -0800, Bobby Holley wrote:
> Right now, every wpt test includes a stylesheet with an @font-face rule to
> make the 'ahem' font available to tests. Since font loading triggers a
> document-wide reflow, we end up with a non-deterministic network-driven
> reflow in each and every test, which makes it harder to test layout
> optimizations and increases the chances for intermittent bugs.
>
> In [1] I'm planning to add a debug flag to load web fonts synchronously,
> and set that flag in the wpt runner. Please let me know if anyone has any
> objections.

The font shouldn't even load unless it's needed (i.e., there's text
that uses it).  I *think* that's the way things work across
browsers, and allows inclusion of style sheets that provide a
"library" of @font-face rules that may or may not be used.  That
would avoid the reflow except where Ahem is actually used, which
seems like the way things ought to work.

-David

             Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
             What I was walling in or walling out,
             And to whom I was like to give offense.