On 17/06/16 13:01, Josh Matthews wrote:
While listening to the Gecko platform talk about shutting down video
decoders for offscreen elements, I wondered about how we could do the
same in Servo. We obviously don't support decoding video yet, but what
would be an efficient way of doing that in the future?

I think there are two parts to this:

* Whether a Servo tab is visible at all (the window could be showing another tab, or be minimized, in another workspace, behind another opaque window, ...)
* Whether a given element intersects the visual viewport.

I believe WebRender tracks the latter to skip painting such elements. Maybe it could add a way to query that information? Or maybe display lists already carry that information, without going to webrender?

--
Simon Sapin